Monday, July 30, 2012

Our munchkin and how he got here...

I went in for my 39 week check up Tuesday February 21st, and after I did the usual routine of peeing in a cup, blood pressure, getting weighed, I went into the exam room and got changed into the super attractive gown, only to have the dr come in, retest my BP and tell me that it was high, so she sent me to l&d to be monitored. The Dr. said that if it didn't go back down, then I would have to be induced that afternoon, which happened to be my niece's 10th birthday!

We got to the hospital at around 4:30 and they hooked me up to a fetal monitor and Bp machine. After 2 hours my Bp was normal (thank goodness! I did NOT want to be induced!) but I was having contractions 2-3 minutes apart.  I could barely feel them (I thought I was just crampy from having a pelvic exam earlier in the day) My cervix was still very high and the baby was so low that they couldn't even find my cervix so they said it would be about 3 days and to go home. They put me on bed rest and said to come in if the contractions got so bad I couldn't talk through them.

By the time we got in the car, they had started to get stronger but I convinced myself that it was my imagination because I was aware of them now. Nope, they kept getting stronger. By 8:30pm they were 1.5min apart and lasting a full minute, I could talk through them but was so distracted by the pain that my sentences weren't coming out properly. Well that's what I thought, everyone else said I couldn't talk through them. Everyone was telling me to go back in but I refused until my mum finally convinced me to at 10:30.

My mother-in-law called the hospital and they told her to bring me back in, so I had Anthony give me a blessing, we grabbed my hospital bags and the rubbish bin from the bathroom (I was sure I was going to vomit from the pain!) and we headed in.

My cervix was still very high but had dropped just enough to tell  that I was dilated to 2cm. After 2 hours, there was barely any change in my cervix but because the contractions were so strong and close they gave me a shot to help me sleep. It didn't help with the pain but I was sleeping through the 90second break between contractions. Each time the nurse checked me, she pulled my cervix down to try and get it moving for me.

By 5am I was still only 3cm but the contractions increased to 30 seconds apart so she checked again at 5:30 and I was 6cm! 
6:30 I was an 8 so she called the midwife. My waters still hadn't broken by 7 and I was at 9cm so she broke them for me. Within about a minute, I had the overwhelming urge to push, but the midwife and nurses were nowhere to be seen! I remember saying "I gotta push, I really gotta push!" and Karen disappeared. She came back a minute later and said "she (the midwife) said to push" uhh ok. i was sitting up on the bed, where did she think the baby was going to go??!

Another minute passed before the midwife came back into the room and she realised that I really was ready to push! they adjusted the bed, she and Ant lifted my legs and she told me to push as soon as I felt a contraction start. the first contraction came, I pushed and the midwife said, with more excitement than I expected, "you're doing really well, I can already see the head!"
Next Contraction came and she said she could see him trying to cry! I looked at Ant and he had a look on his face that I will never forget, he looked up and said "you're doing great!" I thought they were just being encouraging, while I sat there and wondered when the pain was going to start.

Contraction number three, I pushed and he came right out! much to the amazement of everyone in the room, including myself! I didn't experience any pain during the delivery!
I couldnt believe that I only pushed 3 times! Our perfect boy was born at 7:37am!

Even though the labour was so bad (I had back contractions which don't mix well with a spinal injury) I pushed through, with the help and encouragement of my amazing hubby and mother in law. The actual birth was a piece of cake! It didn't hurt one bit and I loved that I could him come out! The look on Anthony's face as he watched and encouraged me through the birth was incredible. 

6lbs 15oz and 19.5 inches long!

We had gone in there, with a list of 3 names: Spencer, Marshall or Gage and a set middle name: Alexander. we didn't want to name him until we saw him. Well, when I held him, I just wasn't feeling any of the names, in fact, the name that came to mind when I looked into his perfect face was one that Ant had mentioned in passing just a few days before: Lachlan. I told Ant, he smiled and agreed. so that was that, he had a name: Lachlan Alexander Mojica

I ended up with what they thought was 2 minor tears, which they stitched up, only to discover a more serious tear behind one they had stitched, so they had to cut me open and re stitch, which was worse than the birth! They had to check me hourly for the most part of the day and 2 hourly after that, even through the night. i wasn't allowed to get up even to pee for hours, to make sure I wouldn't need to go to the OR but luckily I only ended up with a smallish hematoma, the Dr was sure the outcome would be much worse! They told me the next morning that they wanted me to stay in at least another night and I started crying because my mum was arriving early in the morning the next day, so they said that if I strictly follow the care routine, could go home as soon as Lachlan was cleared, which was that afternoon! 

Lachie's first time in the car!
All in all, it was an amazing experience, I would do it natural all over again! Our boy is perfect and we are so madly in love with him!

No comments:

Post a Comment